Install Wireless Zero Configuration Service
Before we get started, though, you need to make sure Windows Explorer is configured to display hidden files. If it isn't, open Windows Explorer, click Tools, and select Folder Options. Go to the View tab and check the "Show hidden files and folders" option, then uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)." Click OK when finished.
Now, to install the Wireless Zero Configuration service on your system, just follow these steps:
1. Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
2. If you're in Category View, then click the Network and Internet Connections icon, then the Network Connections icon. If you're in Classic View, double-click the Network Connections icon.
3. In the Network Connections window, under LAN or High Speed Internet, select the Local Area Connection icon. On the menu bar, click File and select Properties, or just right-click on the Local Area Connection icon and select Properties from the context menu).
4. In the Local Area Connection Properties window, on the General tab, click the Install button.
5. In the Select Network Component Type window, under "Click the type of network component you want to install," click to select the Service icon, then click the Add button.
6. In the Select Network Service window, click the Have Disk button, then the Browse button.
7. In the Locate File window, browse to the C:\Windows\Inf folder (this is a hidden folder). Click to select NETWZC.INF, then click the Open button.
8. In the Install From Disk window, click the OK button.
9. In the Select Network Service window, in the Network Service box, select Microsoft as the manufacturer, then click to select Wireless Zero Configuration.
10. Click the OK button.
At this point you'll need to reboot your PC. With that completed, you should find that the Wireless Zero Configuration service has been successfully installed on your system and you should now have access to the Wireless Networks tab on the Wireless Network Connection icon's Properties page.
Note: If you don't see the Wireless Networks tab when you go back to the Properties page, the most likely reason is that the WZC service did not start. To initialize it, open Administrative Tools in Control Panel and select Services. Scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration, right-click on it, and select Start. The service is now enabled, and the Wireless Networks tab will be visible in Network Properties.
You can try the procedures above when you have a wifi ready or wifi dongle installed and yet you can't view the available access points.